The diet and supplement minefield
Reducing inflammation and toxin load is key to health as inflammation is at the root of most illnesses.
As you learn more about different supplements, detox methods, diets, hormones, gadgets etc to improve your health more and more questions come up. Even what is a healthy diet?
It gets very confusing and expensive, particularly when what you do doesn’t work!
How do you know what is safe and what is a con?
It can be hard sometimes to make sense of all the different advice you get form the internet, media, friends, therapist and doctors.
It can also be very frustrating if you can’t get rid of your health problems or excess weight.
When you are inflamed your body is much more likely to store fat, even if you do everything else right.
Reducing inflammation can make a big different to your weight loss, improve your thyroid function, reduce pain and balance your hormones.
I am a licenced Quicksilver Scientific practitioner and this a globally renowned company lead by Dr Christopher Shade that specializes in testing for heavy metals (particularly mercury) and detoxification protocols for a wide range of toxins.
HOW DO TOXINS HARM MY HEALTH?
Toxins can have a huge impact on your metabolism, weight, mood and brain function
Toxins increase inflammation and when you are inflamed it inhibits your body’s natural ability to remove toxins. A vicious cycle
- Mercury – Fatigue (slows down energy production), anxiety (ramps up fight or flight system via glutamate), thyroid issues.
- Lead – Fatigue, mood disorders, headaches, high blood pressure
- Plastics/phthalates/fire retardants- Hormone disruption (thyroid) and estrogen mimetics (irritability, weight gain, brain fog, inflammation, some cancers)
- Bacterial endotoxin (LPS) – From leaky gut, infected root canal. These are bits of broken up bacterial makes body think you have a full infection. Systemic inflammation, brain fog and inhibition of detoxification of other toxins.
Efficient detoxification depends on a series of seamless reactions that bind toxins to shuttle molecules and “escort” them out through a series of doors. The glutathione system is the most important of the detoxification systems and includes glutathione and the enzymes that work with it. The detoxification process proceeds in three parts or “phases”, Phase I, Phase II, and Phase III. A healthy liver and gut is also key for efficient detox.
“I found QuickSilver protocols and products great because you can die at the level of toxicity I was at. I’ve gone now from a toxic level of 123 down to a level 10 right now, so we are almost there.” – Tony Robbins
Learn how Tony Robbins used the Quicksilver Scientific products and protocols to reduce his dangerously high mercury levels – HERE
My job is to help you make a toxin removal action plan and support you through the process
As many toxins are released during fat loss which can be from fasting, a ketogenic diet, exercise, being ill or any other fat loss method, it is important to know how to remove these from the body quickly.
If there are underlying gut problems such as leaky gut, inflammation, infection or parasites then this often affects the detoxification in liver so the toxins do not leave. The liver and bile plays an important role in detoxification and if they are not functioning well then the toxins do not leave the body properly.
I will help you with a pre-tox gut and liver program before you start your detox program or fasting regime
Like Tony Robbins, there are people all over the world who don’t realize that their body is overloaded with toxins. They may be tired or have a hard time thinking clearly and not know the root cause or that there is a solution. This is why it’s important for everyone to find a way to detox the body and eliminate toxins.
BENEFITS OF FASTING
Fasting and certain kinds of ketogenic diets offer many benefits
- Fat loss
- Reduction in inflammation
- Toxin removal (only if correct detox protocol is followed)
- Cellular cleansing and removal of old/damaged cells via autophagy
- Reversal of Type 2 Diabetes / Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome
- Increased Human Growth Hormone
- Mental clarity
- Clearing skin & gut issues
- Overcoming food addiction
- Improvement in mental health
WHAT IS AUTOPHAGY AND HOW DOES IT BENEFIT MY HEALTH?
Autophagy or ‘self eating’ is a key natural process the body need to perform to recycle old and damaged cells, in order to make new cells. A bit like ripping out an old bathroom suite to put a new one in. This happens during extended fasts.
Not enough autophagy is also linked to disease
Autophagy is key for
- Lowering oxidative stress (free radicals)
- Removing waste material
- Removing damaged mitochondria ‘The power house of the cell’
- Lowering inflammation
- Reducing plaques in brain and atherosclerosis
- Activating longevity genes like FOXO and surtuins
There are many ways to enhance the processes that occur during fasting to make it easier and more effective
Here is how I can help you
- Learn how to do a biochemical detox that actually works and not waste your time or rot your teeth with juice fasts.
- Protocols for detoxification depending on your needs
- Learn about different types of fasting and how to do it safely and effectively
- Lean how to do a low carb/keto diet
- Protocols for fasting regimes depending on your needs
- Learn about inflammation and which foods to avoid
- Understand your hormones.
- Learn which supplements are useful and which are a waste of money.
- Learn about the different forms of vitamins/minerals, and how to get them from food if you do not want to take supplements.
- After leaving science I continued to study biochemistry and have extensive knowledge on supplements, drugs, plants, metabolism, hormones, fasting, food and inflammation.
I have a BSc in Biochemistry & Genetics, a Masters in Bioinformatics (biological data mining) a PhD in Molecular Mechanisms.
I did eventually find a diet and supplement regime that works for me that works for me and lost 28lb (yay) but along the way I found all sorts of other useful health tips. I use fasting and ketogenic diets and offer advice on those ways of eating.
Below are some ideas of the things that might interest you, that you can ask me about as I have tried and tested or know about from my scientific background. I am not a doctor so I cannot give medical advice.
I can give you scientific information on the biochemical mechanism as a whole and explain to you what the current research says about certain topics.
My Knowledge Base
- Biochemical Detoxification
- Liver Support For Detoxification
- Gut Healing for Detoxification
- Fasting/Intermittent Fasting/Prolonged Fasting/Dry Fasting
- Low Carb Diet/Ketogenic Diet /Carnivore Diet
- Which forms of vitamins and minerals to use
- Smart drugs/Brain Supplements
- Performance Enhancing Drugs/SAMRs/Peptides/Growth Hormone
- Healing and Injury recovery
- Thyroid problems/ Thyroid Blood Results
- Over Eating/Leptin Resistance
- Insulin Resistance / Type 2 Diabetes
- Acne and Skin Problems
- Gut Issues
- Autoimmune Diseases
- Diet supplements
- Products that you think might be ‘snake oil’
- Inflammation and pain
- Understanding scientific papers
- Biohacking gadgets
- Genetic Testing Results like 23&Me
You can book a session over Skype or come in person to the Tower Clinic or Broadgate Clinic in Leeds.
The cost is £65 for one hour session, but I will ask you for as much information as possible beforehand so that I am prepared when we meet. We will also schedule follow up sessions of 30min or just email/text.
I don’t sell any supplements and I will help incorporate changes that suit your lifestyle. If you choose to do fasting then you will save money!
The sessions are for educational purposes only. I am a not a medical doctor, I’m a doctor of biochemistry so information given here is not medical advice it is information for you to consider and further research yourself.